The project is located in the 55# neighborhood of Shanghai Qiantan International Business District. It has 10 classes of kindergartens and covers an area of 5,253㎡. Outdoor venues: equipment activities of 80㎡, public events of 340㎡, sand pits of 50㎡, straight runways of 30m, outdoor activities of 60㎡ for each class (10 classes in total).
The project is located in the 55-2# plot of Qiantan International Business District, with Qingxue Road in the east, 55-1# middle school block on the west and north side, and Chunyu Road on the south. The project is located in the mature designed area around city center, close to Jiyang Road and Zhonghuan Road from Pudong to Puxi. The transportation is convenient and with complete living facilities. The Post Expo Park and the Oriental Sports Center make a high reputation of the area. Qiantan International Business District is important in the development of the entire Shanghai.
The overall five design categories:
1. Reasonable response to terrain limitations
The site is a trapezoid with a long distance from the north to the south and a long distance from east to west. The area and environment requirements are relatively strict. An outer door space of activity must be done in the site with the building areas that has made the full use of the land. In the case, there is a huge limitation with the land use and we try to overcome it by reasonable layouts.
2. Make enough sunshine space
Despite the limitations of the site environment, we have creatively applied the effective design method of retreating, which not only ensures the sunshine demand of all active classrooms, but also creates a more flexible and interesting building space.
3. Create a good outdoor venue
The daily activities of the students require a large number of outdoor venues, while the quality of the venues is strict. The case will meet this requirement through the overall layout of the building, the rational arrangement of the outdoor site, and the use of overhead and roof.
4. Establish an open and interactive teaching environment
The rich and diverse architectural space will provide more flexibility for open education. This case will strengthen the interaction between teaching units through the three-dimensional arrangement of the teaching space.
5. Create a comfortable and pleasant teacher environment
The public office unit and the semi-public office unit with strong publicity in the teacher’s office area have different requirements. we will handle the problem between the two through reasonable architectural layout. The contradictory and unified relationship provides teachers with a comfortable and pleasant teaching office environment.
The entire kindergarten is composed of two single buildings, 1# teaching building and 2# supporting auxiliary rooms. The length of the 1# teaching building is 76.8m, the length of the north and south is 32.7m, and the length of the 2# supporting auxiliary house is 23.4m, and the length of the north and south is 7.7m. For the design of the 1# teaching building, the site is a trapezoidal ladder that is deep in the north and south and deep in the east and west. In order to enable all children sufficient sunshine in the south, the children’s room is arranged in the east-west direction. Horizontal stripes, the north side is arranged with traffic space, and the south side is retracted from bottom to top to form a retreat, which makes the vivid building shape and avoids the blockage of the building. As a result, the indoor transportation space naturally forms a small courtyard and atrium, and the outdoor activity space is arranged and retired at the southeast corner of the site.
The office and logistic rooms are arranged on the north side of the site, and there is a separate kitchen logistic entrance. The first floor is for kitchen and equipment; the second and third floors are professional activity classrooms; the fourth floor is for teachers’ office and administrative office. At the same time, garbage collection points and substations are set up near the site entrance and exit of the northwest corner of the site.
The main entrance is arranged on the south side of the site. In the site, the east-west functional block is combined with the north vertical traffic space and the south side entrance space to form a simple and clear cross-shaped layout.
In the space and greening design of the project, there are mainly equipment activity space, public activity space, a 30-meter runways, sand pits and placement activities.
The project has four main features in architecture design:
1. The overall shape of the kindergarten is a drop-down layout. The south side is the teaching activity room, and the north side is the traffic space. The high and low layouts form rhythmic architectural skyline, which is formed the retreat that is an outdoor event platform. 2. We use of lively and bright colors as a decoration greatly enriches the modeling language of the building and enhances the recognizability of the specific functional space in the overall harmony tone: the kindergarten facade is in the form of vertical louvers. 3. The building facade is pursuing a simple, bright and modern effect. The kindergarten part adopts the vertical color venetian facade method to form a horizontal division between the layers to make the building with clear layers and functions in different colors. The interior courtyard has a large floor-to-ceiling window to fully establish the space communication inside and outside the courtyard.
4. The high-level reading room in the lower reading room handles the personalized shape of the skylight, making the architectural form more vivid and rendering the special atmosphere of the interior space. In the layout of the single building function, the living room is arranged in the northwest corner of the whole building, and the logistics entrance is located on the north side of the building and close to the west side. The kindergarten part adopts the layout of the retreat. The first to third floors are the living room and the professional classroom, the activity room and the office room; among them, there are 10 children’s activity rooms and 4 professional classrooms, all arranged in the south. Outdoor space(apparel activity areas, bunkers, public event space, 30-meter straight runway, class outdoor event space, etc.) are placed on the southeast side of the site.